Frequently asked questions

vintage map making tools | Cartography Counselling | Christchurch, New Zealand
Below are some common questions people have. If you can't find the answer you require, please don't hesitate to contact me.

How much will it cost?

Hourly charges are as follows:
Individual counselling $100

Domestic tertiary students $80

Supervision $120 

Supervision student counsellor $80


How long is an appointment?

A standard appointment is one hour.

How many appointments will I need?
A lot of work in counselling lasts for 5 to 6 sessions. In the end, whether you feel like you are finished the work is the most important thing.  For some people that may be 2 sessions and for others it might be more than 7.


Where are you located?

I see clients at my office in Tai Tapu and I also work online using video conferencing.

What if I have to change or cancel an appointment?

You are welcome to change or cancel your appointment up until 24 hours before you are booked.  After that sessions will be charged in full.

What are your qualifications?

I am Registered as a Member of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors and have a 

Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Counselling) from the University of Auckland.

I also hold a Graduate Diploma of Teaching and Learning and a Bachelor of Arts (political science) from the University of Canterbury.

Will you tell anyone what we discuss?

I follow the NZAC Code of Ethics. This means all of our discussions in counselling are confidential unless you ask me to disclose information or I have your permission to disclose.  The one critical exception to this is that in situations of great risk, I must disclose what is necessary to prevent serious harm to you or someone else. 

Understanding how confidentiality in counselling works is extremely important and I will discuss this in more detail when you begin working with me.  Please feel free to ask any questions on this subject.

For further information please see the NZAC Code of Ethics

What can I expect from our appointments and counselling in general?

I address this in detail on the Counselling page

If I am unhappy with my counselling experience where can I raise my concern or make a complaint?

If you are unhappy with anything I have done while working with you, I would invite you to assume I have made an unintentional mistake and raise it with me by email, phone call or in-person so I can hear your feedback and address your concern. Your safe and supported help is my first concern.

If you have a serious ethical concern or complaint, as I am a member of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors, you can raise your concern with my professional body as part of our ethics process.